What do I need to work as a Massage Therapist in California?

You need to have training at an approved school (MTI is approved), and a business license from the city (or county) you wish to work in. If your city has no massage ordinance requiring more than 100 hours of training (check with the business license dept. of your city hall), you may apply for your business license after you graduate from our 100 hour Massage Therapy Fundamentals class. You can now work using the term Massage Therapist.

If your city requires more hours to issue you a business license, the most you will need is 250 hours (even if your city asks for 500 hours – e.g. Vacaville). You will apply for certification as a massage practitioner (250 hours). Once you are approved, you will take your CAMTC certificate to your city hall and they will issue your business license. You can now begin working using the term Certified Massage Practitioner. Of course individual employers (e.g. Massage Envy etc) may require more hours of training to hire.


If you would like to use the term Certified Massage Therapist you can apply to CAMTC after

  1. You have completed 500 hours of training at an approved school
  2. OR

  3. You have completed 250 hours of training at an approved school and have passed an approved exam (MBLEX)


Where do I Start?

A good place to start is with our 100 hour Massage Therapy Fundamentals class.  In this class, you will learn the basic foundation work as needed for a professional massage practice. We offer this class 6 times a year. Before you have completed, you will have the option to upgrade to a 250 hour or 500 hour program, allowing you to complete these hours at the lowest price available OR you can choose to continue taking classes and pay class by class, tacking as much time as you want to complete.

Upcoming Massage Therapy Fundamentals classes

OR, you may start with any anatomy class or elective class that has no prerequisite. These classes are listed by scheduled date in class schedule.

When you are ready to register:

  1. Print Application for Admission and mail to MTI, PO Box 518, Davis, Ca 95617 along with a photo copy of your high school diploma or other proof of education, plus your application fee.
  2. OR

  3. If you would like to see the school, schedule a time to meet with the Director by calling 530-753-4428 or email julie@mtidavis.com.

Once we have reviewed and accepted your application we will mail a receipt for money paid and instructions on what to bring to class, parking, etc.

If you take our 100 hour program, before completion you may choose to upgrade into a 250 or 500 hour Massage Therapist Program. Your 100 hour program is included as part of those programs. You can make monthly payments for the balance owing. You will receive a certificate and a transcript upon completion.



Sign Up for Newsletter


Serving Sacramento, Northern California:

Berkeley, Fairfield, Vacaville, Napa, Vallejo, Roseville, Citrus Heights, South and West Sacramento, Auburn, Dixon, Bay Area, Redding, Chico and Marin.

© 2008 Massage Therapy Institute   |   Sitemap   |   Contact Us   |   BPPE Information